MailChimp’s features and integrations allow you to create great looking campaigns and manage your contact list.
Below, you’ll learn what you need to get started with MailChimp, and how to sign up for a free account.
Before You Start
Here are some things to know before you begin this process.
- MailChimp is a web-based application. While it doesn’t require you to install or download software, your web browser needs to meet our requirements.
- You’ll need to provide an email address that will be associated with the account. We will use this email to communicate with you, so it should be an email address that you have access to.
- You must include a physical mailing address in all emails. This can be any address where you can receive mail, like an office address or P.O. Box.
- You’ll need to provide a URL for your website when you sign up. If you don’t have a website, you can use a blog or social media channel.
- All accounts start on our Forever Free Plan, so you don’t need a credit card to sign up. If you choose to purchase add-ons or upgrade to a paid plan, we’ll need your credit card information. We can’t accept bank transfers, e-checks, or checks from users outside the United States.
Sign Up for an Account
Below, you’ll learn how to create your account.
- Navigate to MailChimp’s homepage and click Sign Up Free.
- On the Account Signup page, type in your Email, Username, and Password, and clickCreate My Account.
- We’ll display a Thanks For Signing Up confirmation message. Check your inbox for the account activation email to complete your account setup.
- The time it takes to receive the activation email can vary. If you haven’t received the activation email, check your spam folder. You can also activate your account from the login page when you input your credentials and click Log In.
- MailChimp blocks signups from role-based email addresses like firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
Activate Your Account
After you receive the account activation email from MailChimp Client Services, you can complete the account setup.
- Open the account activation email and click Activate Account.
- On the Confirm Humanity screen, check the I’m not a robot box, and click Confirm Signup.
Let’s Get Started Page
Below, you’ll learn how we use this information.
The name associated with your account profile. The profile is unique to you and can have access to multiple MailChimp accounts.
The email address where we’ll contact you. Make sure it is an email address you have access to. The reply email address that you use to send emails can be different from this email address.
Details about your company and email marketing goals. These help us provide relevant content and guidance.
The name of your company or organization. It will appear on every email with your physical mailing address.
The website URL for your company, organization, or personal website. This can be the website for your blog, social networking profile, or personal landing page. We use the URL for a few reasons, like to verify your account for compliance purposes.
The mailing address where you can receive mail. A physical address is required by lawon any email you send out. Ideas for a physical address include your personal address, business address, or a P.O. Box.
The category that your company’s or organization’s work falls into. This information allows us to compare how your emails perform against emails sent by similar companies.
The time zone where your company or organization is located. We’ll reference it to show when campaigns are sent and when you schedule a campaign.
The photo that is used as your profile icon. It is not required, and will never be seen by your subscribers.
After you type in the information, click Save And Get Started to proceed to your account.
After you activate your account, get to know MailChimp’s features.
Getting Started with MailChimp
Get an overview of MailChimp basics to get started.
Verify your domain
Verification makes sure your From email address is hosted at a domain that you can access. Free domains, like Gmail and Hotmail, are automatically verified. But if you want to send from a personal or company domain, you’ll need to go through theverification process before you can send through MailChimp.
It's best to send campaigns with a personal or a company domain. Many free email providers have implemented DMARC authentication policies that affect the delivery of email campaigns that use a free provider's domain for the From email address.
Add other people to account
If you want multiple logins for your account, you can invite users. Set different levels of permission based on how much access you want each user to have.